Meet the board
South Park Area Redevelopment Committee (SPARC) is an entirely volunteer organization that operates the SP Neighborhood Center building. We are responsible for insurance, utilities, janitorial services, commercial kitchen health and safety, bookkeeping for a dozen or more grants per year, repairs and maintenance, payroll for our employees and those for which we are the umbrella organization, life safety requirements, and more. We raise the funds to cover these operating expenses.
SPARC is the fiscal agent for several local groups including South Park Arts, the Duwamish Rowing Club, Marra Farm, and the South Park Rain Gardens Program.
What does the SPNA/SPARC Board do?
- Review and approve grant proposals. Grants in the past have requested funding for kitchen equipment, conference room remodeling, street sign improvements, community events, etc.
- Oversee the operations of the Neighborhood Center and make decisions regarding the use of the building based on recommendations of the Building Manager and the President.
- Show up at community events to socialize with our neighbors and support local organizations that are working to improve South Park.
- Advocate for South Park in the greater community.
What can you contribute to the board?
We encourage all board members to get involved in the community. What skills do you have to offer? What great things do you want to see happen in South Park?
- Are you a great organizer?
- Do you have management experience?
- Are you a real people person?
- Are you a genius with numbers?
- Do you have lots of ideas?
- Are you super responsible?
Interested in joining the SPNA/SPARC Board?
SPNA board meetings are every 1st Tuesday of the month from 6-7:30pm.
Board members serve for 1 year (July1 – June 30). Members are expected to assist the board in finding a replacement when they retire. If you are interested in becoming a board member, please contact us.